This issue wasted far too much of my time and the solution was so simple.

Problem

When I was trying to call one of my api controller methods it was saying:

Multiple types were found that match the controller named 'X'

Cause

I had made a copy of a project and renamed everything in the project

I built and ran the site, there was an error with the HomeController, saying it found 2 routes, my previous project route and my new project route.

I checked I hadn't left any reference to the previous project in there, all the namespaces were correct.

I cleaned the solution, and rebuilt loads of times.

I even changed to Guid of the project. Still that didn't fix it.

I found a suggestion online which said I should add the namespace to the MapRoute calls in the RouteConfig.cs file.

routes.MapRoute(
    name: "Default",
    url: "{controller}/{action}/{id}",
    defaults: new { controller = "Home", action = "Index", id = UrlParameter.Optional },
    namespaces: new string[] { "MyNameSpace.MyProjectName" }
);

I also found this solution too, to help when I got an issue with OWIN

<add key="owin:appStartup" value="MyNameSpace.MyProjectName.Startup" />

These worked for the normal controllers, but it is not the right solution to the problem.

When I tried to test the rest of the site, I found I had the same issue with my API Controllers, and you can't set the namespaces in WebApiConfig.cs like you can above in the RouteConfig.cs

What was I missing? It's got to be simple. It turns out it was simple.

Solution

Clear the bin folder manually. For some reason Clean Solution didn't delete the dll for the original project from my bin folder, so it was always there causing trouble. Once I located it and delete it and it and the .pdb and .config files for it, the project worked fine.

So I've learned my lesson and I won't do it again. Hopefully you have learned your lesson too and this post has saved you a lot of time.

Want to thank me?

If I've helped you out and you want to thank me, why not buy me a coffee?

About the author

Paul Seal

Umbraco MVP and .NET Web Developer from Derby (UK) who specialises in building Content Management System (CMS) websites using MVC with Umbraco as a framework. Paul is passionate about web development and programming as a whole. Apart from when he's with his wife and son, if he's not writing code, he's thinking about it or listening to a podcast about it.

Related Posts

How to create a dynamic image from multiple images using ImageProcessor

This post shows you how I created a handler to create dynamic header images for my umbraco website u…

Read Post

How to send Slack messages programmatically using C#

In this post I show you how you can send Slack messages programmatically using C#

Read Post

How to include scripts from partial views in MVC and Umbraco

This post will show you how you can include scripts from inside an MVC partial view rather than havi…

Read Post

How to fix the error "Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream"

This post will show you how to fix the error "Authentication failed because the remote party has clo…

Read Post