I ran into an issue today with a site which had recently been upgraded.

The customer reported that the preview didn't work any more.

I did some googling and I found a thread on Our Umbraco which was marked with a solution, but the solution which actually worked for me was further down.

The solution was to delete the folder

Umbraco > Preview

The reason for this is because in the upgraded version of Umbraco the files have been moved to the new folder:

Umbraco > Views > Preview

So by deleting the old folder it solves the issue.

Thank you to Paul Wright for posting this solution #h5yr

Paul Seal

Umbraco MVP and .NET Web Developer from Derby (UK) who specialises in building Content Management System (CMS) websites using MVC with Umbraco as a framework. Paul is passionate about web development and programming as a whole. Apart from when he's with his wife and son, if he's not writing code, he's thinking about it or listening to a podcast about it.

Proudly sponsored by


  • Moriyama build, support and deploy Umbraco, Azure and ASP.NET websites and applications.

  • CI/CD service for Windows, Linux and macOS
  • Build, test, deploy your apps faster, on any platform.

  • elmah.io is the easy error logging and uptime monitoring service for .NET.
  • Take back control of your errors with support for all .NET web and logging frameworks.
uSync Complete

  • uSync.Complete gives you all the uSync packages, allowing you to completely control how your Umbraco settings, content and media is stored, transferred and managed across all your Umbraco Installations.

  • More than a theme for Umbraco CMS, take full control of your content and design with a feature-rich, award-nominated & content editor focused website platform.

  • Affordable, Geo-Redundant, Umbraco hosting which gives back to the community by sponsoring an Umbraco Open Source Developer with each hosting package sold.